Casual game developer Playfish has released some figures that Train2Game students may find interesting. The EA casual firm now has 55 million users a month, a very impressive number given that the studio was founded in just November 2007.
Playfish has revealed a lot of other statistics that could very much encourage a Train2Game student to take a look at producing casual Facebook games in future. They certainly quite fascinating, especially with the fun facts and images included by Playfish.
- 55 million people play Playfish games every month.
- More than 340 million Playfish games have been installed and played worldwide.
- More than 90 million items are virtually transacted daily in Playfish games
- There are nearly 57 million restaurants in the game Restaurant City
- Over 2.2 million American football teams have been created in Madden NFL Superstars
- Almost 80 million people own virtual pets in Pet Society.
- 1.7 billion apples have been purchased and fed to virtual pets since July 2008
- 187 million pairs of shoes have been bought in Pet Society.
- 10.9 million people have built their own ancient Roman city in My Empire.
- 10.6 million football clubs have been created using FIFA Superstars
- And nearly 25 million people own hotels in Hotel City.
The numbers are very impressive indeed, but pale slightly next to the Facebook giant that is Zynga. As reported on the Train2Game blog last week, their latest social game Cityville now has over 100 million users playing.
That news came just a day after a report stated that one fifth of consumers are now playing casual games online. And with an increasing amount of users purchasing in-game items, there is an increasing incentive for Train2Game students to look into producing social games in future.
For more information about in-game purchases, be sure to check out the Train2Game interview with industry consultant Nicholas Lovell.
So Train2Game, what are your thoughts on the success of Playfish? Have you played any of their casual games? If so, what do you think?