You can now experience a whole new way to interact with Nintendo Switch as you Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo.
Now available at retailers nationwide, Nintendo Labo kits offer interactive build-and-play experiences that combine the magic of the Nintendo Switch system with the fun of DIY creations. In celebration of the launch, Nintendo unveiled a new online destination for you to share your Nintendo Labo creations and enter for a chance to win special Nintendo Labo prizes.
With each Nintendo Labo kit, building and discovery are designed to be just as much fun as playing, which is why the experience is categorized into three key pillars: Make, Play and Discover.
- Make: Transform modular sheets of cardboard into interactive creations called Toy-Con – from a 13-key piano to a motorbike, a robot suit and more.
- Play: After they are built, combine the Toy-Con creations with the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con controllers in creative ways to enjoy a variety of game-play experiences.
- Discover: Learn how Nintendo Switch technology works together with each Toy-Con project. With Toy-Con Garage mode, a feature included with the software in each Nintendo Labo kit, you can invent new ways to play with your Toy-Con projects.
“As with anything we do at Nintendo, our primary goal with Nintendo Labo is to make people smile,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Whether you are a kid or a kid at heart, we hope the playful spirit of Nintendo Labo ignites imagination and creativity in people of all ages as they interact with Nintendo Switch in new ways.”
For some initial inspiration, Nintendo Labo owners can visit the user-generated content (UGC) hub to see a dapperly decorated RC Car created by TV personality and “Science Guy” Bill Nye, who recently took Nintendo Labo for a spin and spent time tinkering with Toy-Con Garage. Check out Bill Nye’s full Nintendo Labo experience here.
Throughout the next few weeks, the UGC website will also feature custom Toy-Con creations from popular social media influencers and Toy-Con Garage inventions from Nintendo employees.
Starting today, you can submit your own creations to the site by signing in with your free Nintendo Account. Fans in the U.S. or Canada who are 13 years old or older can also choose to enter their creations in the limited-time Nintendo Labo Creators Contest for a chance to win a Nintendo Labo prize package, including a Nintendo Labo kit, a special jacket and a signed framed certificate. Learn more about the contest and upload your submissions here: https://labo.nintendo.com/share/#!/contest/.
The first two Nintendo Labo kits (available now) are the Variety Kit and the Robot Kit.
- The Nintendo Labo Variety Kit ($69.99MSRP*** USD) includes all the necessary materials and software to create five different Toy-Con projects:
-RC Car: The RC Car is powered by vibrations in the Joy-Con controllers and can follow a path of reflective tape by using the IR Motion Camera in the right Joy-Con controller – it even works in the dark! Materials to build two RC Cars are included, so two players can race or battle each other!
-Fishing Rod: Build a working rod and reel, and then go fishing on the screen of your Nintendo Switch console to catch a variety of exotic fish. You can also enter Aquarium mode – accessed via Toy-Con Piano – to view all the fish you’ve caught or even design your own colorful fish.
-House: Insert different blocks into your newly constructed House to interact with the adorable creature inside. Combining multiple blocks can unlock special features and mini-games, including an exhilarating mine cart ride!
-Motorbike: Rev the throttle of your Motorbike by twisting the right handle, just like the real thing! You can even create and race on tracks you design.
-Piano: Compose and record music using different octaves, reverb and sound effects – even cat noises!
- With Nintendo Labo Robot Kit ($79.99 MSRP*** USD), you can build a wearable robot suit, including a backpack and visor, which allows you to assume control of a huge on-screen robot. Smash buildings and UFOs in Robot Mode, make sound effects using your Toy-Con Robot in Robo Studio or customize your in-game robot in the Hangar. With an additional Nintendo Labo Robot Kit and set of Joy-Con, you can even battle against a friend in multiplayer mode using just one Nintendo Switch system!
- A Customization Set ($9.99 MSRP*** USD) is also available, which includes colorful tape, stencils and Nintendo themed stickers to decorate your Toy-Con creations. When it comes to decorating your Toy-Con projects, almost anything will work! Try some of your favorite arts-and-crafts supplies, like markers or paint.
For more information about Nintendo Labo, visit https://labo.nintendo.com/.