Gamer Network, the world’s leading network of independent video games websites and producer of the UK’s premiere video games events, takes a rosy look back at last week’s EGX Rezzed.
Freshly relocated to Tobacco Dock in London’s East End, EGX Rezzed 2015 cemented itself as the premier platform for independent developers to showcase their latest projects, as well as larger publishers to highlight their latest game updates. With the return of established features such as the Developer Sessions, Leftfield Collection and BAFTA Inside Games Arcade, plus the inclusion of new features like the GamesIndustry Fair and Rezzed Sessions, this year’s EGX Rezzed was the best yet for both consumers and exhibitors.
As is tradition, Gamer Network asked visitors to let them know their personal Game of the Show. ArenaNet arrived in force to EGX Rezzed with their newly announced first expansion for Guild Wars 2. With a packed booth for the entire event and a very warm reception from fans, Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns wins the EGX Rezzed 2015 Game of the Show.
In celebration of a successful event, the Gamer Network data kings have been gathering numbers:
● Over 12,000 attendees arrived to play this year’s best games
● 110 exhibitors, from indie developers to AAA publishers, retailers, universities, trade bodies and beyond
● Over 150 playable games across PC, console, browser and mobile
● Over 300 screens of gaming
● 20+ VR games and experiences wowed the crowds
● Xbox attended with 22 playable games in its ID@Xbox range
● In addition to Game of the Show second place winner Bloodborne, Sony demoed 8 new indie games including Gang Beasts, which placed third
● BAFTA’s Inside Games Arcade showcased 16 British-developed games
● More than 300 games were submitted for the Leftfield Collection, of which 24 winning games were selected
● 15 tabletop games featured in the packed Esdevium Games area
● 10 Developer Sessions including Valve’s Vive VR and ex-Rare devs Playtonic’s new platformer
● More than 60,000 viewers watched the sessions on the EGX Twitch and YouTube channels
● Over 800 people attended Valve’s Virtual Reality in 2015 session – the largest in EGX history
● Rezzed Sessions featured 10 informal dev talks including an Alien: Isolation post-mortem
● 8 games industry execs gave careers insight in the BAFTA & Ukie Careers Bar talks, including 3 BAFTA Breakthrough Brits and 1 British Academy Games Awards winner
● 49 Ukie Video Games Ambassadors and BAFTA Crew Games members advised the next generation of games industry professionals on how to land a career in games
● 6 teams competed in the Creative Assembly Game Jam, each given 8 hours to make a game from scratch based on Guardian news stories. Congratulations to Ultra Testibus!
● The newly released EGX mobile app featured 17,715 game views and features a Google Play rating of 4.4
“This year’s EGX Rezzed provided the most positive feedback of any show in the EGX family. Consumers enjoyed the discovery of a new and fascinating venue and developers enjoyed the opportunity to either take their own space or throw themselves together”, said David Lilley, Managing Director of Gamer Events. “Last week’s show provides the perfect springboard for this September’s EGX, the largest gaming event in UK history”.
Here’s the full top 10 EGX Rezzed 2015 Games of the Show:
1. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns
3. Gang Beasts
4. Titan Souls
5. Life is Strange
6. Beyond Eyes
7. Not a Hero
8. Ratz Instagib
10. Big Pharma
All eyes are now on EGX 2015, with ticket sales kicking off at 11:00 GMT (12:00 CET) this Friday 20th March. Set to be the largest UK gaming event ever, EGX 2015 runs from 24th-27th September.