The wait is finally over as the results of the 36th Golden Joystick Awards presented with AMD are revealed.
The winners in 23 categories were announced today at the award ceremony held at London’s Bloomsbury Big Top and live streamed on Twitch.
The Golden Joysick Awards presented with AMD honour the people and products that have transformed the games industry in 2018.
The event features 23 categories, the majority of which are voted for by the global gaming public. The event was first held in 1983 and has grown to become the world’s largest public voted gaming awards brand.
Daniel Dawkins, Global Editor-In-Chief, GamesRadar+ said:
“2018 has been an incredible year for videogames. We have had year-defining blockbuster hits such as Fortnite Battle Royale, Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War, sitting alongside indie breakthrough games such as Subnautica and Dead Cells. This year’s Golden Joystick Awards received a record number of voters, casting millions of votes, and we are not surprised to see all these games being recognised for their inventive brilliance and the sheer joy they bring to so many people.”
“We are extremely honored to have awarded Hidetaka Miyazaki the Lifetime Achievement award, a man whose games are widely considered among the most influential of his generation. We are delighted that he could join us on-stage to accept the honour from fantasy luminaries Ian Livingstone CBE and Steve Jackson whose works were so influential on Miyazaki’s distinctive style.”
The winners are:
- Best Storytelling: God of War
- Best Competitive Game: Fortnite Battle Royale
- Best Cooperative Game: Monster Hunter: World
- Best Visual Design: God of War
- Best Indie Game: Dead Cells
- Best Audio: God of War
- Still Playing Award: World of Tanks
- Best Performer: Bryan Dechart, Detroit: Become Human
- Esports Game of the Year: Overwatch
- Best VR Game: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
- Studio of the Year: SIE Santa Monica Studio
- Best New Streamer / Broadcaster: Bryan Dechart and Amelia Rose Blaire
- Mobile Game of the Year: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Mobile
- PC Game of the Year: Subnautica
- PlayStation Game of the Year: God of War
- Xbox Game of the Year: Forza Horizon 4
- Nintendo Game of the Year: Octopath Traveler
- Breakthrough Award: Unknown Worlds
- Most Wanted Game: Cyberpunk 2077
- Critics Choice Award: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Hidetaka Miyazaki
- Outstanding Contribution: Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Ultimate Game of the Year: Fortnite Battle Royale
If you missed the action, you can still watch the whole show on Twitch.