Indie tabletop company Nice Game Publishing today revealed details on its upcoming project Game of the Year, which will go live on Kickstarter on Monday, June 28, 2021.
In the game, players take on the role of video game developers, creating their own titles from hundreds of elements with the ultimate goal of conquering the eponymous award. Each playthrough will be different as variable upgrade paths, rivals and rewards keep players on their toes. Game of the Year is playable in 20-60 minutes as a cooperative or competitive experience for 1-4 players.
“The world of video games lets one explore such a rich universe of themes, activities and emotions. We’ve always been in awe of that. We wanted to make a game that celebrates that creativity and lets players take part. And at the same time we wanted to explore the less glamorous sides of the industry and poke a bit of fun at those. So in our game, whether you make a classic 3d-Shooter in a SciFi setting or a beekeeping management sim featuring ancient Egyptians is really up to you. But you’re going to need to complete the project in time and make some money. And maybe you’ll want to use that ‘Crunch Culture’ idea after all?”– Simon Schwanhaeusser, CEO at Nice Game Publishing GmbH
Game of the Year in a Nutshell:
- Build your own unique games from a huge base of genres, themes and features, inspired by gaming culture old and new
- Defeat rival games to conquer markets, earn loot and gain hype
- Build your company using dice employees and specialists
- Go up against the titans of the industry in a battle for the title of Game of the Year
- Solo, cooperative and competitive gameplay for 1-4 Players
- Content developed in collaboration with video game history experts
Visit goty-boardgame.com for more details, the newsletter and a first look at what it feels like to create titles in Game of the Year!