Peter Molyneux, was the man behind Populas over twenty two years ago and with the game he created a new genre known as God Games which sees you in a god like role overseeing a world you help create. He went on to create games such as Black and White and Dungeon Keeper. Molyneux has now come back to his roots with the next project from Guildford based company 22Cans, Godus.
Godus is the second project to come from 22Cans, the first being Curiosity: What’s inside the cube?. Curiosity far exceeded the expectations of the company, so much so that they had to work thirty six hours straight to boost the servers. Godus will be made using what the company has learned from developing Curiosity.
Godus is an innovative reinvention of Populous and delivers exciting global co-operation, competition, creation and destruction to a whole new generation.
Further game details included are:
- It’s a living world, unique and detailed. And it’s a world you influence, whether you’re good or evil.
- GODUS is instantly accessible, easy to learn but immensely deep.
- As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.
- GODUS draws on the cunning battle-psychology of Dungeon Keeper, the living, changing world of Black & White and the instinctive, satisfying gameplay of Populous.
- Plus you get to be a god. In fact, play well and you get to be the ultimate god!
- GODUS will be developed for the PC and Mobile devices,
The game is being funded by Kickstarter. The company is looking to get £450,000 by December 21. At the time of writing this they are currently at £103,426 with twenty eight days to go. If you would like to pledge to the games development, you can do so here.
22Cans also released a video about the new project which you can watch below