Happy birthday Rebellion!
The independent UK studio behind Sniper Elite, Battlezone and Zombie Army Trilogy has hit the big milestone, celebrating its 25th birthday this week.
To give this context, Rebellion was formed by Jason and Chris Kingsley on 4th December 1992. It was a time when Mega Drive and SNES were doing battle on the pages of CVG. When Home Alone 2: Lost In New York was just a week away from its long-awaited cinema release. When ‘Would I Lie To You’ by Charles & Eddie stormed up the UK charts.
Yes, people actually bought that single in droves. Truly, they were strange times.
But more importantly, it was also the start of a long and successful journey for Rebellion. From the humble beginnings of Eye of the Storm to the co-op adventuring of Strange Brigade, Rebellion’s story has seen the studio offer gamers new experiences through VR tank showdowns, zombie Hitler battles and the chance to snipe testicles from three postcodes away.
Rebellion’s pop-culture influence even reaches beyond gaming now, as the studio has also become the custodian of all things 2000 AD and Judge Dredd, while Rebellion Publishing pushes the coolest authors and artists from the fringes of counterculture.
As part of Rebellion’s celebrations this week, here are 25 facts about the UK studio… and here’s to the next 25 years!
1) Rebellion was founded in 1992 in Oxford by two brothers – Jason and Chris Kingsley
2) The iconic Rebellion logo was inspired by the Solidarity logo used by the Polish trade union of the same name.
3) The name ‘Rebellion’ comes from the Kingsleys wanting a name to represent how they would ‘do things slightly differently’
4) Five people worked on Rebellion’s first game, Eye of the Storm, compared to Rebellion’s current team sizes of typically up
5) Jason and Chris Kingsley were among the first three people in Europe to hear about the Atari Jaguar
6) Rebellion has developed games for a number of well-known franchises including Aliens vs Predator, James Bond, Harry Potter, The Simpsons and Star Wars
7) Rebellion has developed over 85 games to date
8) Rebellion’s biggest-selling licensed game is The Simpsons Game
9) Rebellion’s biggest-selling original game is Sniper Elite V2
10) Rebellion has 32 platform number 1 games to its name
11) In 2000, Rebellion bought 2000AD
12) Rebellion has made 10 acquisitions throughout its history, including 2000AD and Elixir Studios
13) Over 200 issues of the monthly Judge Dredd Megazine have been published under Rebellion’s aegis
14) Over 800 issues of the weekly 2000AD comic have been published under Rebellion’s aegis
15) Rebellion has published over 1,000 books to date
16) Jason and Chris Kingsley were Producers on the 2012 Dredd film starring Karl Urban
17) Jason and Chris Kingsley are Producers on the new Judge Dredd: Mega City One TV series
18) Rebellion uses its own development engine, ‘Asura’
19) Rebellion has won four awards as a studio, including Best Independent Studio in 2017…
20) …while Rebellion has also won 28 awards for its games, on top of the many awards won by 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing.
21) Rebellion has developed for 35 different gaming platforms including Amiga, Wii and PlayStation VR
22) Rebellion has over 200 staff across their studios
23) Rebellion is one of the UK’s largest fully independent studios
24) Jason Kingsley was awarded an OBE due to his ‘services to the economy’
25) Jason and Chris Kingsley created the computer graphics for the Adamski’s ‘Killer’ music video featuring Seal